Jacksonville wins 53-51 over Northern KentuckyMonday, Dec 31, 2012
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Russell Powell hit two game-winning free throws with 2 seconds left to lift Jacksonville to a 53-51 victory over Northern Kentucky in each team’s Atlantic Sun Conference opener Monday night.
The Norse (2-7), playing their first conference game as a member of the A-Sun, led 49-45 with 4:08 left after Nate Snodgrass’ 3-pointer. Glenn Powell dunked on Jacksonville’s next possession and then Kordario Fleming’s jumper tied the game at 49-all with 1:44 left.
Russell Powell put the Dolphins (6-8) ahead with a jumper with 22 seconds left, only to have Ernest Watson’s fast-break layup tie the game at 51 with 7 seconds remaining.
After a Jacksonville timeout, Tyler White fouled Russell Powell, who hit both free throws to clinch the win.
Russell Powell led the Dolphins with 10 points.
Snodgrass led Northern Kentucky with 12, and Chad Jackson added eight points and 10 rebounds.
- Moore scores 23 as No. 24 Temple beats La Salle
- Texas Tech upsets No. 14 Iowa State 85-82 in OT
- Tulsa rallies to hand No. 16 SMU 1st home loss 82-77
- Freeman, Prince lead No. 21 Baylor past K-State, 82-72
- Walton, Michigan hang on to beat Minnesota 82-74
- No. 7 Virginia back track with a little luck, lots of 'D'