Northern Kentucky pulls away from Navy, wins 55-46Saturday, Dec 22, 2012
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP)—Ernest Watson scored 19 points, and Northern Kentucky pulled away in the second half to defeat Navy 55-46 on Saturday.
Jalen Billups had 14 points and nine rebounds, and Eshaunte Jones added 13 points and seven assists for the Norse (2-6), who are in their first year in Division I. The starters were the only players to score.
Tilman Dunbar led Navy (6-7) with 12 points, and Brandon Venturini had 11 for the Midshipmen, whose three-game home winning streak was snapped in the first meeting between the teams.
The Norse outrebounded the Midshipmen 30-15 and made the same number of field goals—19—while taking 13 fewer shots.
From a 39-38 advantage with 7:33 to go, Watson made three consecutive 3-pointers for a 48-38 lead with 4:57 left.
Despite the loss, Navy already has won twice as many games this season (3) as they did in 2011-12.
- Northern Kentucky pulls away from Navy, wins 55-46
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics
- Selection Sunday is just 5 weeks away
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Watson's 32 leads Creighton to 70-56 upset of No. 5 Xavier
- Gill's 16, 'D' lead No. 7 Virginia past Virginia Tech, 67-49