Mason made 7 of 12 shots from the field and 9 of 10 from the foul line, and also had four assists and three steals. Juan’ya Green backed his effort with 17 points for the Purple Eagles (5-6).
Brian Voelkel led Vermont (6-4) with 14 points and 10 rebounds but also had seven turnovers before fouling out with 33 seconds left.
The Catamounts trailed 19-18 at halftime and tied it at 21-all on Candon Rusin’s trey 30 seconds into the second half. But Mason hit a 3-pointer and scored eight during a 16-2 Niagara run that stretched the lead to 37-23.
Vermont responded with a 7-0 run to make it 37-30, but T.J. Cline then hit a 3-pointer for Niagara and Vermont never got closer than that seven-point deficit again.
- Crazy missed dunk by Jamar Samuels goes down yet pops out
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- Ochefu scores 25, No. 1 Villanova beats St. John's 73-63
- Jackson leads Notre Dame to upset of No. 13 Louisville 71-66
- No. 14 Iowa State beats No. 24 Texas 85-75
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56