NEWARK, N.J. (AP)—Lamont Middleton made 12 free throws en route to 24 points and Adrian Powell chipped in 16 points to lead North Carolina A&T over New Jersey Institute of Technology 76-71 Thursday night, snapping the Highlanders’ five-game home winning streak.
Dametrius Upchurch added 11 points and Austin Witter pulled down 13 rebounds for the Aggies (4-6), who outrebounded NJIT 47-37.
After North Carolina A&T’s Jeremy Underwood broke open a 48-all tie with a jumper, Middleton scored nine straight points and Powell hit a 3-pointer, part of a 15-3 run that put North Carolina A&T up 63-51 with 4:27 left to play.
Middleton hit six free throws over the final 3 minutes.
The Aggies held NJIT (5-5) to 38 percent (25 of 65) shooting and blocked 13 shots. The Highlanders made 10 3-pointers but converted just 11 of 20 shots from the free throw line.
Ryan Woods’ 23 points paced NJIT.
- Mercer misses NCAAs after A-Sun disappointment
- Kansas concerned about defending hot-shooting Oklahoma
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56
- No. 20 Providence ends skid with 75-72 win over Georgetown
- Pearl: Auburn's Kareem Canty leaves team, school to turn pro
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue