Whack scores 18, Mount St. Mary’s beats Navy 72-65Friday, Dec 7, 2012
The Mountaineers (4-3) led 45-31 after making nine 3-pointers in the first half, but Navy shot 66.7 percent (14 of 21) in the second half to trail 60-58 with 4:45 remaining.
Whack responded with a 3-pointer, starting a 9-0 run that ended with Mount St. Mary’s ahead 69-58 with 1:07 left. He made 6 treys in the game on 12 attempts, and the Mountaineers were 13 of 35 overall beyond the arc.
Navy cut the margin to 70-65 with 18 seconds left on a 3-pointer by James Loupos, but Josh Castellanos responded with two free throws for the Mountaineers.
Tilman Dunbar scored 18 points to lead the Midshipmen (5-6), who were hampered by 47.1 percent shooting (8 of 17) on free throws.
- Colorado headlines list of biggest NCAA tournament snubs
- Bird scores 24 points, California beats No. 11 Oregon 83-63
- Emery propels BYU past San Francisco 114-89
- DeCosey scores 23, Temple rallies to beat UConn 63-58
- Louisiana-Monroe knocks off Arkansas-Little Rock 86-82
- Boise State tries to rebound from controversial ending