Norfolk State holds off South Carolina State 78-72Monday, Dec 3, 2012
Hawkins had 21 points and five rebounds while Johnson posted 20 points and seven boards for Norfolk State (5-5, 2-0), which has won three-straight after losing its previous four games.
Rashid Gaston came off the bench to pull down nine rebounds for the Spartans, who held a 43-41 rebounding edge.
Norfolk State led 40-28 at halftime behind a 14-of-34 shooting performance— including five 3-pointers. The Spartans held South Carolina State to just 26.5 percent (9 of 34) during the frame.
South Carolina State (4-3, 0-1) improved to 45.5 percent (15 of 33) shooting after intermission but Norfolk State hit 15 of 24 free throws in the second half to pull away.
Darryl Palmer led South Carolina State with 19 points.
- Roy Williams insists dizzy spells are no big deal
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne
- Dubious record: Washington may see most players foul out
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M