Loyola of Chicago squeaks by Tennessee Tech 81-78Wednesday, Nov 28, 2012
CHICAGO (AP)—Cully Payne scored 18 points, Ben Averkamp added 16 and Loyola of Chicago earned an 81-78 victory over Tennessee Tech on Wednesday night.
Loyola of Chicago (5-2) led 38-34 at the break, but went on a 20-10 run to begin the second half capped by Devon Turk’s 3-pointer with 11:44 to play to give the Ramblers a 58-44 lead and they never looked back.
The Ramblers came up big from the free-throw line, making 25 of 36. The Golden Eagles were 12 of 13.
Tennessee Tech (2-3) made things interesting in the end when Matt Marseille hit a 3-pointer with 9 seconds to play to cut the Ramblers lead to one at 79-78, but Joe Crisman hit a pair of free throws to make it 81-78, and Lanerryl Johnson’s last-ditch 3-pointer missed its mark to end it.
Marseille had 21 points on 8-of-12 shooting for the Golden Eagles.
- Loyola of Chicago squeaks by Tennessee Tech 81-78
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58
- McClellan, Newton lead No. 17 Miami past Georgia Tech 75-68
- Kansas State upsets top-ranked Oklahoma, 80-69
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- No. 14 West Virginia beats No. 15 Baylor 80-69