ST. THOMAS, U.S. Virgin Islands (AP)—Hayden Humes had 22 points and eight rebounds, and Illinois-Chicago rallied from a 12-point deficit late in the game to beat Iona 86-81 at the Paradise Jam on Monday.
Gary Talton added 17 points and Daniel Barnes had 16 for UIC (3-1), which trailed 70-58 with 6:57 to play but broke off a 12-0 run to tie it—led by nine points from Talton.
UIC went ahead on Marc Brown’s free throw with 2:25 left. The Gaels got within two on a layup by Lamont Jones with 16 seconds remaining, but Iona coach Tim Cluess was hit with a technical foul and the Flames hit three free throws over the final six seconds to seal it.
Jones scored 22 points for Iona (2-2), Sean Armand added 20 and Tre Bowman 18.
- Roy Williams insists dizzy spells are no big deal
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne