The Mountaineers (1-1), who lost to Pitt 80-48 in their season opener, trailed Hartford (0-2) 35-32 at halftime. But behind the shooting of Whack (7 of 10, 4 of 6 on 3-pointers), Julian Norfleet (10) and Sam Prescott off the bench, Mount St. Mary’s outscored Hartford 38-28 in the second half.
Trailing 53-48, the Mountaineers scored 12 points in a row down the stretch, including 3-pointers by Shivaughn Wiggins and Whack. Prescott, who scored 12 points, including two 3-pointers, also scored four straight points in that critical 12-point run.
Hartford got as close as 62-60 with 1:59 left, but Josh Castellanos went 4-for-4 from the foul line down the stretch.
Mark Nwakamma led Hartford with 21 points. Yolonzo Moore II added 15 and Evan Cooper 14.
- Mount St. Mary's defeats Hartford 70-63
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak
- Sherrod sets record; Yale beats Columbia 86-72
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug