Touted freshman center Adam Woodbury scored 10 points in his college debut for the Hawkeyes, who opened the game with a 17-2 lead.
Aaron Urbanus and Brandon Provost each scored 13 points to lead Texas-Pan American.
The Broncs cut Iowa’s early lead to 33-22 with 2:52 left in the first half, but the Hawkeyes ended the half on a 12-2 run. Iowa cruised in the second half.
Devyn Marble, Iowa’s leading returning scorer, had 10 points.
Friday’s attendance of 14,859 fans was Iowa’s largest for a season opener since 2001.
- UConn outlasts Saint Joseph's in 89-81 OT win
- No. 22 Kentucky blows out South Carolina 89-62
- Rosco Allen's 25 leads Stanford past No. 11 Oregon 76-72
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56
- No. 20 Providence ends skid with 75-72 win over Georgetown
- Pearl: Auburn's Kareem Canty leaves team, school to turn pro