Arkansas State stuns Middle Tennessee 64-61Sunday, Mar 4, 2012
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—Trey Finn scored 16 points and Marcus Hooten scored 15, including two free throws in the final 9.5 seconds, and ninth seed Arkansas State stunned regular-season champion Middle Tennessee 64-61 in the Sun Belt tournament quarterfinals Sunday night.
Brandon Peterson had 13 points and eight rebounds for the Red Wolves (14-19), the No. 9 seed who beat Florida Atlantic in the first round Saturday night.
Raymond Cintron scored 15 points and LaRon Dendy 14 for Middle Tennessee (25-6). The Blue Raiders, 14-2 in the Sun Belt Conference season, trailed most of the second half at Summit Arena and missed five free throws in the final minute, including one by Dendy that would have tied it after his basket made it 60-59 with 12.9 seconds left. Middle Tennessee was 11 for 22 from the free-throw line.
- Big Ten preview: Q&A with Illinois freshman Meyers Leonard
- Trier scores 18, No. 17 Arizona holds off UCLA 81-75
- Holder scores 20, Arizona State knocks off No. 23 USC, 74-67
- Disallowed Boise State buzzer-beater should have counted
- Tough road awaits surging Wisconsin, back in Big Ten picture
- Pitino: Mathiang won't return this season after foot injury