SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP)—Juan’ya Green had 20 points to pace five double-figure scorers for Niagara as the Purple Eagles got past Canisius 80-70 on Friday night in the opening round of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament.
Joseph Thomas added 15 points while Ameen Tanksley had 14 points and 10 rebounds for seventh-seeded Niagara (14-18). Malcolm Lemmons also chipped in with 12 points and Antoine Mason had 10 for the Purple Eagles, who advanced to play second-seeded Loyola, Maryland, in the MAAC tournament quarterfinals on Saturday.
Niagara trailed for most of the opening half before Green hit two 3-pointers within a two-minute span to help fuel an 11-1 run. The Purple Eagles were then up 20-15 and led the rest of the way. They took a seven-point halftime lead and outscored the Golden Griffins 47-44 in the second.
Harold Washington scored 24 points for 11th-seeded Canisius (5-25).
- Niagara beats Canisius 80-70 in MAAC tourney
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four