BATON ROUGE, La. (AP)—Derick Beltran hit four 3-pointers en route to 26 points as Southern University edged Prairie View A&M 64-63 on Thursday night.
Quinton Doggett finished with 14 points and seven blocks for the Jaguars who held the Panthers to just 36.1 percent (13 of 36) shooting in the second half.
Southern led 41-32 with 18:19 left in the second half before Prairie View A&M (13-17, 9-8 Southwestern Athletic Conference) rallied to tie the game 59-all with 3:24 remaining.
But Beltran knocked down a 3-pointer and Jameel Grace made two free throws and the Jaguars (16-14,12-5) held the Panthers to just two points over the game’s final 3 minutes to seal the win.
Prairie View held possession with six seconds left but Ryan Gesiakowski’s 3-point attempt fell short and Jules Montgomery’s put back was too little, too late.
Jimmie Duplessiss led Prairie View A&M with 15 and Montgomery added 14 boards.
- Prairie View A&M beats Southern 64-63
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot