Western Illinois closes out Nebraska-Omaha 72-51Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012
Jack Houpt scored 15 points, all on 3-pointers, and Terell Parks had a double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds for the Leathernecks (16-13). Tommie Tyler added six assists.
Mitch Albers scored 13 points in the season finale for the Mavericks (11-18), who are reclassifying to Division I and will join the Summit League next season.
Western Illinois won for the 1,200th time in program history and won its 16th game for the first time since 1998-99.
The Leathernecks led 23-20 before opening some space with an 8-0 run. Three-pointers by Houpt and Ceola Clark and a basket by Parks made it 31-20 with 2:01 left in the first half.
The Leathernecks’ biggest lead was 24 points late in the second half.
Western Illinois also defeated the Mavericks 81-70 on Jan. 24.
- Western Illinois closes out Nebraska-Omaha 72-51
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch