The Bears, seeded second in the tournament, outscored Lipscomb 32-24 in the second half after the game was tied 29-29 at the half. The Bears hit 14 of 17 attempts from the free-throw line and made nine 3-pointers, attempting 28.
Langston Hall and Travis Smith each had 11 points for Mercer, while Bud Thomas added 10. Mercer (22-9) made 19 of 50 shots from the floor, with Gallon making eight of his 12 attempts.
Zavion Williams led Lipscomb (13-18) with 17 points, while Jacob Arnett had 11 and Malcolm Smith had 10.
Gollon scored Mercer’s first seven points and nine of its first 11. He also hit a key 3-pointer with 1 minute left in the game to help seal the victory.
- How did the tradition of cutting down the nets begin?
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout
- NCAA to survey potential host cities on discrimination laws
- George Washington investigating basketball coach Lonergan