Portland State defeats Northern Colorado 75-74Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012
Michael Harthun had 14 points for the Vikings (16-14, 10-6 Big Sky), and Chehales Tapscott added 12 points and eight rebounds. Portland State is the No. 3 seed in the Big Sky tournament that begins on Saturday and will host sixth-seeded Montana State in the first round.
Tate Unruh led Northern Colorado (9-19, 5-11) with 20 points and was among five Bears scoring in double figures.
After a back-and-forth second half that featured 10 lead changes, Mike Proctor’s dunk put the Bears ahead 72-70 with 2:31 to play. Odum hit 1 of 2 free throws for PSU, and Tevin Svihovec made a layup with 37 seconds remaining to give UNC a 74-71 lead.
A Tapscott follow-up closed the gap to 74-73 with 14 seconds to go. Svihovec missed the front end of a one-and-one, and Odum raced down the floor and was fouled in the lane, setting up his winning free throws.
Portland State had a 30-6 free-throw advantage for the game.
- Harris, Vols hold off Arkansas, 74-68
- Defending champion Oregon picked to repeat as Pac-12 winner
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has a sudden wealth of depth
- NCAA accuses Louisville, Pitino of violations in escort case
- Arizona adds to 2017 class with Lee's commitment
- Two conferences to experiment with restricted arc appeals