Holman’s 20 guide Detroit past Loyola (Ill.) 80-71Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012
DETROIT (AP)—Eli Holman scored 20 points, leading five Detroit players in double figures, as the Titans beat Loyola (Ill.) 80-71 in the first round of the Horizon League tournament Tuesday night.
Chase Simon scored 19, Doug Anderson 18 and Ray McCallum and Jason Calliste 10 each for the Titans, who beat Loyola for the eighth straight time.
The 10th-seeded Ramblers (7-23) got game highs of 20 points and eight rebounds from Ben Averkamp. Jordan Hicks scored 14 and Denzel Brito and Walt Gibler 12 apiece.
Loyola shot 50 percent but committed 23 turnovers to Detroit’s 22.
The Titans reeled off 12 straight points for a 26-16 lead with 5:36 left in the first half and did not trail again.
- Holman's 20 guide Detroit past Loyola (Ill.) 80-71
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0