SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP)—Torrey Craig scored 20 points and South Carolina-Upstate cruised to a 90-72 win over Stetson on Saturday, posting its first 20-win season in the Division I era and giving coach Eddie Payne his 400th career win in the regular-season finale for both teams.
The Spartans (20-11, 13-5 Atlantic Sun Conference), who also beat the Hatters 79-63 on Dec. 17, shot 36 of 77 from the field (46.8 percent) and made 9 of 22 3-pointers.
S.C.-Upstate outscored Stetson 50-32 in the paint and grabbed a 42-37 rebounding advantage, including 19 offensive boards leading to 26 second-chance points.
Trailing by six early and 30-26 with 6:21 left in the first half, the Spartans then held Stetson scoreless to lead 42-30 at the break.
S.C.-Upstate, which has won 10 of its last 12, took its biggest lead at 83-56 with 4:04 left.
Chris Perez led the Hatters (9-20, 6-12) with 23 points.
- Craig, SC Upstate cruise past Stetson 90-72
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action