Brandenberg leads VCU over UNC Wilmington 63-59Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP)—Rob Brandenberg scored 14 of his 21 points in the second half and had a key sequence in the final seconds to help Virginia Commonwealth defeat UNC Wilmington 63-59 on Wednesday night.
The Rams (24-6, 14-3 Colonial Athletic Association) led 60-59 before Darius Theus made it a two-point game on a free throw.
The Seahawks then got ball for the final possession after a timeout with 9 seconds to go. But Brandenberg stole the ball from Tanner Milson and was fouled with 5 seconds remaining.
He made both his free throws to seal the Rams 13th win in their last 14 games.
UNC Wilmington shot 52 percent in the first half (13 of 25) to lead 31-28 at halftime, but was held to 38.5 percent in the second (10 of 26).
Rendleman led the Seahawks (9-19, 5-12) with 24 points and 10 rebounds.
- Brandenberg leads VCU over UNC Wilmington 63-59
- Former Michigan State star Appling charged in new case
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team