McKines’ performance was the 42nd double-double of his career and 15th this season.
Hernst Laroche scored 17 points, including three 3-pointers, as the Aggies (20-8) picked up their third consecutive victory. Daniel Mullings added 10 points.
Rayvonte Rice scored 18 points for the Bulldogs (15-13), whose two-game winning streak was snapped. Aaron Hawley hit four 3-pointers and scored 14.
New Mexico State used a 14-2 run for a 19-7 lead with 9:57 left in the first half, and it was not close thereafter.
The Aggies shot 48 percent (24 of 50) and 54 percent (7 of 13) from 3-point distance. Drake was limited to 34 percent (18 of 53) and 32 percent (7 of 22) from long range.
The BracketBusters game was the 2,500th contest in Drake’s 106-year basketball history.
- McKines guides New Mexico State past Drake 71-55
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested,' and 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Gonzaga throttles Xavier to send Mark Few to his first Final Four
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)