In a Bracket Busters shootout, Iona (22-6) won its fourth straight. The Gaels, atop the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, got balanced scoring from Jones, Michael Glover (15 points), Scott Machado and Sean Armand (13 apiece) and a boost from Randy Dezouvre, who came off the bench to score 17 points.
Machado, the point guard, hitting all 8 of his free throw attempts and had 15 of Iona’s 23 assists.
But the Gaels, up 47-46 at halftime, couldn’t shake Nevada (22-5), which leads the Western Athletic Conference. Olek Czyz scored 28 points and Deonte Burton 21. Dario Hunt had a 15-point, 14-rebound double-double.
Trailing 71-58 midway through the second half, Nevada whittled it to 82-77 with 4:04 left. But Dezouvre stuck a jumper, Machado a layup and two free throws. Jones’ two foul shots with 28 seconds left clinched it.
- Jones scores 18 as Iona outlasts Nevada 90-84
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four