NORFOLK, Va. (AP)—Chris McEachin scored a career-high 25 points and Kyle O’Quinn recorded 18 points and 18 rebounds as Norfolk State hung on to beat Hampton for the second time this season, 70-62, on Saturday night.
Norfolk State (18-8, 10-2 Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference) shot just 37.3 percent (22 of 59) from the field but made 44 percent (7 of 16) from deep and 19 of 23 from the free throw line.
Hampton (8-16, 4-7) tied the game 45-all in the second half before Norfolk State used a 12-2 run to take a 57-47 lead with 8:39 left. McEachin scored eight points during the run.
Wes Dunning cut the lead to six with 34 seconds left but the Pirates were held without a shot the rest of the way.
Christopher Tolson led Hampton with 16 and Dunning finished with eight points and five boards.
Norfolk dominated the boards 48-35 and forced 16 turnovers.
- Norfolk State beats Hampton 70-62
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0