The Rams (22-5, 13-2 Colonial Athletic Association) trailed 61-58 with 1:01 left and scored eight straight over the next 45 seconds. Theus connected on a three-point play and a pair of free throws to cap the run.
Old Dominion’s Trian Iliadis answered the spurt with a 3-pointer but Briante Weber made both his free throws to seal it for the Rams. It was the 11th straight win and 19th in the last 21 games for VCU.
Theus finished with 14 points.
Old Dominion led 36-33 at halftime after shooting 56 percent in the period (14 of 25). However, the Monarchs made just 8 of 36 shots in the second half (22.2 percent).
Nick Wright had 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Monarchs (16-11, 11-4).
- Burgess, Theus lead VCU over Old Dominion 68-64
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four