LEWISTON, N.Y. (AP)—Ameen Tanksley scored a career-high 24 points and combined with Juan’ya Green for 40 points in Niagara’s 58-54 win over Siena Thursday night in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
The Purple Eagles (10-16, 5-9) led by just 28-26, at intermission and outscored Siena (10-14, 5-9) by just two points in the second half. But a decisive edge in 3-point shooting helped Niagara stave off three Siena players in double figures: Evan Hymes and Owen Wignot with 11 points apiece, Brandon Walters with 10.
The Saints were 5 for 16 on 3-pointers. Tanksley had one more trey by himself, hitting 6 of 9 from beyond the 3-point arc and 8 of 12 field goals overall.
Each team had 19 baskets, Siena going 19 for 52, Niagara 19 for 50. Siena was 11 for 13 on free throws, Niagara 10 of 13. Despite being outrebounded 35-20, Niagara outscored Siena 21-11 on fast-break points.
- Texas A&M-Kansas Preview
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Robinson leads No. 5 Kansas past Texas A&M
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback