Purifoy’s basket put the Blazers (9-13, 4-5 Conference USA) ahead 61-59. He was also fouled on the play but missed the free throw. Gabriel McCulley got the rebound for UTEP and was fouled but made just 1 of 2 free throws. He had tied the game at 59 on a pair of free throws with 1:02 remaining.
A missed jump shot by Swing with 9 seconds left gave the Miners (10-13, 3-6) one more chance, but Michael Perez’s 3-pointer at the buzzer was off the mark.
Purifoy had 12 points for the Blazers, who were 9 for 21 on 3-point attempts. Cameron Moore added 11 points, 11 rebounds and six blocks.
UTEP got 22 points, eight rebounds and four blocks from John Bohannon, and 16 points from Julian Washburn.
- Purifoy's basket lifts UAB over UTEP 61-60
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0