The Minutemen avoided their first losing streak of the season, bouncing back from an overtime loss at Rhode Island.
Chaz Williams scored 15 points and Freddie Riley added 12 for Massachusetts (17-6, 6-3 Atlantic 10 Conference), which is just a half game behind conference leader Temple. The Minutemen shot a season-best 55.4 percent from the field (31 of 56).
Tony Taylor (26 points) and Dwayne Smith (16) scored season highs for the Colonials (8-15, 3-6), who lost their fourth consecutive game and second straight home conference game.
The Minutemen used six 3-pointers to lead 40-33 lead at halftime. Then they got their transition game working, creating turnovers that led to a handful of rim-rattling dunks to hold off several George Washington spurts.
- Massachusetts defeats George Washington 86-75
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?