BERKELEY, Calif. (AP)—Arizona assistant coach Joe Pasternack says he didn’t deliberately make contact with California’s Jorge Gutierrez after he fell into the Wildcats’ bench during Thursday night’s game.
Gutierrez yelled at Pasternack, a former Cal assistant, after falling into the bench chasing a loose ball in Arizona’s 78-74 win. Replays showed Pasternack making a kicking motion, which Gutierrez believed to be intentional.
Arizona coach Sean Miller and Cal’s Mike Montgomery both came to midcourt to speak with Gutierrez after the incident.
Pasternack issued a statement Friday saying his actions were a reflex in response to a player falling on top of him while running at top speed toward the bench.
- Arizona assistant says contact not intentional
- SoCon officials delay decision on moving championships
- Sixteen-team PK80 tournament set for next year in Portland
- South Carolina won't bid for North Carolina NCAA games
- Kevin Love makes big donation to UCLA basketball facility
- Iowa's Big 4 classic extended through 2019