Northern Iowa turns back Southern Illinois 58-49Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012
Chip Rank added 13 points, including two 3-pointers, as the Panthers (15-9, 5-7 Missouri Valley) snapped a two-game losing streak.
Jeff Early’s 13 points led the Salukis (7-16, 4-8), who have lost five of their last six. Mamadou Seck had 10 points and a game-high eight rebounds.
Mitchell’s 3-pointer put Northern Iowa ahead 41-39 with 6:44 left, giving the Panthers their first lead of the second half. That started a spurt in which Mitchell and Johnny Moran combined for the Panthers’ next 14 points, creating a 52-47 edge with 3:38 to go.
Northern Iowa endured a scoreless streak of 6:56 in the first half and trailed 22-19 at the break.
The Panthers have won seven of the teams’ last eight meetings.
- Cleveland State stuns No. 11 Syracuse 72-69
- UT Arlington beats Top 25 team first time in program history
- FSU scores most under Hamilton in 118-63 rout of Nicholls
- Rising Bears: Baylor unranked to No. 4 in less than month
- White leads Colorado to 68-66 win over No. 13 Xavier
- No. 6 Kentucky regroups with 87-63 rout of Valparaiso
- Cleveland St.-Syracuse Preview
- Peter Jok scores 23, Iowa upsets No. 25 Iowa State 78-64
- No. 2 UCLA returns to college basketball's upper echelon
- Late free throw gives Indiana State win over No. 16 Butler
- No. 7 North Carolina holds off Davidson 83-74
- Watson scores season-high 25, No. 10 Creighton beats Huskers