Hummel took a feed from Lewis Jackson and fired a 15-footer to break a 56-56 tie. A potential game-winning 3-pointer by Wildcats forward John Shurna bounced off the glass at the buzzer.
Terone Johnson scored 14 points, D.J. Byrd had 12 and Hummel added 11 as the Boilermakers (15-7, 5-4 Big Ten) snapped a two-game losing streak.
Drew Crawford scored a game-high 23 points for the Wildcats (12-8, 2-6), while Shurna added 15.
The loss was the third straight for Northwestern.
- Hummel, Purdue tip Northwestern 58-56
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament