Dezmine Wells and Kenny Frease added 12 points each for the Musketeers (14-7, 5-3), who led by as many as 10 points in the first half and were ahead 71-62 with 2:34 remaining.
The 49ers (10-10, 2-5) used an 8-1 run, capped by DeMario Mayfield’s free throw with 12.2 seconds left, to close to 72-70. But Holloway hit a pair of free throws 4 seconds later to seal the win and end Xavier’s two-game losing streak.
Javarris Barnett had a career-high 27 points for Charlotte, hitting a career-best seven 3-pointers.
One of Barnett’s 3s tied the score at 52-52 with 11:22 left in the second half, and his 25-footer with 5:53 left pulled the 49ers within 62-60.
Chris Braswell added 14 points for Charlotte.
- Central Connecticut St. beats Albany (NY) 70-68
- Defending champion Oregon picked to repeat as Pac-12 winner
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has a sudden wealth of depth
- NCAA accuses Louisville, Pitino of violations in escort case
- Arizona adds to 2017 class with Lee's commitment
- Two conferences to experiment with restricted arc appeals