Ricardo Glenn added 14 boards for the Spartans (12-9, 6-3 Atlantic Sun Conference), who won their second straight game and have won three of their last four.
Leading 17-15, S.C.-Upstate pulled away with a 14-3 run and held a 33-25 advantage at the break. The Bisons got within three points on three occasions in the second half, the last time at 55-52 with 1:33 remaining. Mario Blessing then made a layup and S.C.-Upstate hit 4 of 8 free throws.
Neither team shot well from the field, with Lipscomb at 32.7 percent (18 of 55) and S.C.-Upstate 30.4 (21 of 69) for the game.
The Spartans had a 51-43 rebounding advantage.
Deonte Alexander and Martin Smith scored 10 points apiece to lead the Bisons (10-11, 5-4).
- SC Upstate holds off Lipscomb 61-52
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout
- NCAA to survey potential host cities on discrimination laws
- George Washington investigating basketball coach Lonergan
- Alabama AD completes cancer treatment, cleared to go home
- Iowa forward Dale Jones gets 6th year of eligibility