Troy Daniels added 12 points for the Rams (16-5, 7-2 Colonial Athletic Association).
The game marked the 11th time this season that VCU has held opponents to 60 points or fewer, and the Rams also swept the season series, having won 80-63 on Jan. 2.
VCU, which has won eight in a row against the Pride (7-14, 1-8), led by 10 in the first half, but only 35-32 at the break.
After Nathaniel Lester opened the second half with a free throw to get Hofstra within two, the Rams pulled away.
VCU, which ranks third in the country in steals per game (10.0), had 11 takeaways.
Mike Moore scored 17 to lead Hofstra, which has lost seven of its last eight.
- Virginia Commonwealth defeats Hofstra 61-49
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament