Jack Isenbarger had 19 points and Ryley Beaumont 15 for the Phoenix (9-9, 4-3 Southern Conference), who were outplayed in many facets of the game but still held on to win.
The Mocs outshot the Phoenix from 3-point range 47.4 percent (9 of 19) to 35.7 percent (10 of 28), from the foul line 78.3 percent (18 of 23) to 66.7 percent (16 of 24) and outrebounded them 42-36.
Elon did force 15 Chattanooga turnovers, though, scoring 22 points off them.
Isenbarger hit two free throws with 7 seconds left to put Elon up 88-85, and the Phoenix held on despite a late layup for Chattanooga.
Omar Wattad had 25 points to lead the Mocs (9-12, 3-5).
- Elon edges Chattanooga 88-87
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0