Dayton (14-5, 4-1) built a 13-point halftime lead on 53.1 percent shooting (17 of 32) and kept control throughout the second half as they answered every Xavier attempt to cut into the lead.
Xavier’s final run at the lead came in the final four minutes, but 11 was as close as the Musketeers could get.
Matt Kavanaugh led Dayton’s inside game with 20 points and nine rebounds, leading Dayton to a 41-29 rebounding advantage. Josh Parker added 16 points and Paul Williams scored 13. The Flyers were much better at the free-throw line, making 22 of 28 while Xavier was 12 of 24.
Xavier (13-6, 4-2) had a four-game winning streak snapped.
- The 10 best one-liners from Saturday night's Bob Knight roast
- Tar Heels ready for Final Four push after title-game loss
- Freshman class makes Duke a title favorite once again
- Police: South Carolina guard Felder kicked officers
- Clemson looking to end NCAA Tournament drought this season
- Defending champion Oregon picked to repeat as Pac-12 winner