Dayton (14-5, 4-1) built a 13-point halftime lead on 53.1 percent shooting (17 of 32) and kept control throughout the second half as they answered every Xavier attempt to cut into the lead.
Xavier’s final run at the lead came in the final four minutes, but 11 was as close as the Musketeers could get.
Matt Kavanaugh led Dayton’s inside game with 20 points and nine rebounds, leading Dayton to a 41-29 rebounding advantage. Josh Parker added 16 points and Paul Williams scored 13. The Flyers were much better at the free-throw line, making 22 of 28 while Xavier was 12 of 24.
Xavier (13-6, 4-2) had a four-game winning streak snapped.
- Welcome back, NFL fans. Here's what you've missed so far.
- Peter Jok scores 23, Iowa upsets No. 25 Iowa State 78-64
- No. 2 UCLA returns to college basketball's upper echelon
- Late free throw gives Indiana State win over No. 16 Butler
- No. 7 North Carolina holds off Davidson 83-74
- Watson scores season-high 25, No. 10 Creighton beats Huskers