NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. (AP)—Michael Glover had 21 points to lead five double-figure scorers in Iona’s 91-71 rout of Rider Friday night to keep the Gaels atop the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference standings.
Lamont Jones added 20 points, Sean Armand 15, Kyle Smyth 12 and Scott Machado had 11 points and 15 assists for the Gaels (15-4, 7-1), who won the rematch of last season’s MAAC semifinals. Iona also beat the Broncs in that conference tournament game in March.
The teams stayed close through the first half until Iona, leading 24-21 with just over eight minutes before halftime, got a 3-pointer from Armand that sparked a 14-5 run to put the game out of reach.
The Gaels led by 14 at intermission and outscored Rider 45-39 in the second half.
Jeff Jones scored 17 points to lead the Broncs (6-14, 3-5), who have dropped three straight games.
- Jordan's 18, UCF lifts Knights past Houston 68-65
- Gonzaga throttles Xavier to send Mark Few to his first Final Four
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself