Cal holds on late for 69-66 win over WashingtonBy TIM BOOTH, AP Sports Writer Thursday, Jan 19, 2012
SEATTLE (AP)—Allen Crabbe scored 16 points, unheralded walk-on Robert Thurman added a career-high 16 off the bench, and California remained in at least a tie for first place in the Pac-12 with a critical 69-66 win over Washington on Thursday night.
Justin Cobbs added 14 points, including a key 3-pointer from the corner in front of his own bench with 2:28 left that gave California (16-4, 6-1 Pac-12) a 66-58 lead. He later split a pair of free throws with 8.2 seconds left to put the Golden Bears up by three.
After a timeout, Washington’s Darnell Gant got an open look at a 3-pointer to tie the game, but missed off the front rim. It capped a miserable night for Gant, who was 0 for 9 from the field, including six misses from behind the arc.
Terrence Ross led Washington (11-7, 4-2) with 15 points, including a pair of late 3s.
- LeBron gets dunked on by Xavier player, confiscates all video
- NCAA rules Florida's Gak ineligible to play in 2016-17
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout
- NCAA to survey potential host cities on discrimination laws
- George Washington investigating basketball coach Lonergan
- Alabama AD completes cancer treatment, cleared to go home