Joaquim scored nine of the Rainbow Warriors’ 16 points in the extra period as Hawaii (10-6, 2-0 Western Athletic) won its first conference road opener since 2004.
Garrett Johnson led Fresno State (7-11, 0-3) with 18 points, including back-to-back 3-pointers in overtime that brought the Bulldogs within 65-64 with 1:52 left.
Joaquim answered with a layup, then converted a three-point play that put Hawaii ahead 70-66 with 50 seconds left.
Hawaii’s Joston Thomas hit an inside basket with 2.4 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 58-58 and force overtime.
Kevin Olekaibe added 15 points for the Bulldogs, and Steven Shepp had eight points and 11 assists.
- The latest Greg Paulus insanity: To Michigan? Really?
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case