The Lancers took a 77-75 lead on a layup by Antwan Carter with 1:10 remaining. But Brown’s Sean McGonagill tied it, 77-77, on two free throws with 23.6 seconds left on the clock. Longwood then called a timeout to set up Bowman’s game-winner.
Carter paced the Lancers (6-11) with 20 points and 12 rebounds. Bowman finished with 19 points, Jan van der Kooij 14, Tristan Carey 13 and Martiz Washington 10 for Longwood.
The Lancers shot 52.4 percent from the field (33 of 63), and made 42.1 percent of their 3-point shots (8 of 19).
Brown was led by McGonagill, who scored 21 of his 30 points in the first half. Andrew McCarthy scored 16 points and had 19 rebounds for the Bears (5-11).
- Bowman's layup gives Longwood 79-77 win over Brown
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2