Jakob Gollon added 10 points for the Bears (12-7, 4-2 Atlantic Sun Conference), who used a strong run out of halftime to seal the victory.
Tied 31-all at intermission, Cecil dropped in a layup and knocked down a 3-pointer on back-to-back Mercer possessions to fuel a 14-1 run to begin the second half. The Bears led the rest of the way, outscoring the Spartans 42-35 in the second half.
Torrey Craig scored 17 points and Ricardo Glenn had 16 for the Spartans (9-8, 3-2), who have lost three of their last four.
The Bears have won five straight against the Spartans, and hold a 6-2 all-time advantage in the series.
- Mercer beats South Carolina Upstate 73-66
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament