Jonathan Holmes added 11 points as the Longhorns (11-4, 1-1) avoided starting Big 12 play with back-to-back losses for the first time under coach Rick Barnes.
Brian Williams led the Cowboys (8-7, 1-1) with 16 points and Le’Bryan Nash added 12 before picking up his fifth foul with 2:04 left in the game.
J’Covan Brown, Texas’ leading scorer, finished with six points in 25 minutes. The junior guard was a game-time decision due to a right-ankle injury he sustained in a loss at Iowa State on Jan. 4.
Brown was 2 of 4 from the floor, but his lone 3-pointer put Texas ahead 40-37 with 8:14 to play. The Longhorns outscored Oklahoma State 21-12 afterward.
The first half included a drought of over five minutes without a field goal, and the teams went into halftime tied 21-21 after shooting a combined 27 percent (15 of 56).
- Justice, sort of: Houston's Coleman gets one-game suspension
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- Ochefu scores 25, No. 1 Villanova beats St. John's 73-63
- Jackson leads Notre Dame to upset of No. 13 Louisville 71-66
- No. 14 Iowa State beats No. 24 Texas 85-75
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56