Morgan State defeats South Carolina State 73-68Saturday, Jan 7, 2012
A layup by Thompson broke a 57-57 tie with 6:58 remaining and put the Bears (3-1, 1-0 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) ahead to stay.
Free throws by Ali and Thompson and another layup by Thompson gave Morgan State a 67-61 lead with 3:07 left.
The Bears used a 14-0 run to open a 25-11 lead with 8:24 left in the first half. They scored 15 points off turnovers in the half to South Carolina State’s three.
The Bulldogs (4-11, 0-2), who have lost nine straight, rallied from a 48-38 second-half deficit to tie the game at 55.
DeWayne Jackson contributed 14 points for Morgan State and Shaquille Duncan blocked three shots in 11 minutes.
Brandon Riley led the Bulldogs with 26 points and Omar Sanders had 13 points and 14 rebounds.
- Morgan State defeats South Carolina State 73-68
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action