The Golden Griffins (3-9), who had lost eight of their last nine games, led 44-31 with 15:27 remaining after Hymes’ layup capped a 10-0 run, but the Bearcats (0-11) rallied to trail by five, 58-53, with 5:44 left.
Canisius, which shot 56 percent (14 of 25) from the field in the second half, made 13 of 16 free throws down the stretch to put the game away. Washington made 9 of his 17 field goal tries and was 7 of 8 from the line.
Omar Richards led Binghamton with 15 points, making 4 of 4 from the field and 6 of 6 free throws. Robert Mansell added 14 points.
The Bearcats have not won since beating Maryland-Baltimore County 91-65 last March in the first round of the America East Conference tournament.
- Ex-Michigan star Robert ‘Tractor’ Traylor found dead at 34
- Defending champion Oregon picked to repeat as Pac-12 winner
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has a sudden wealth of depth
- NCAA accuses Louisville, Pitino of violations in escort case
- Arizona adds to 2017 class with Lee's commitment
- Two conferences to experiment with restricted arc appeals