PROVO, Utah (AP)—Matt Carlino scored 22 points and Noah Hartsock 21 to guide BYU past UC Santa Barbara 89-75 on Thursday night.
Brandon Davies added 17 and Charles Abouo 16 for the Cougars (10-3), who won their second in a row. Carlino also had six assists.
Orlando Johnson and James Nunnally scored 22 points apiece for the Gauchos (5-5), who dropped their third straight. Jaime Serna added 12 points and Kyle Boswell 10. Johnson had a game-high nine rebounds.
Though making three fewer baskets than UC Santa Barbara, BYU’s big advantage came at the free throw line. The Cougars converted 27 of 37 foul shots— including 9 of 9 by Abouo and 7 of 8 by Hartsock—to just 7 of 12 for the Gauchos.
Hartsock and Nunnally have reached double figures in every game this season.
- Iowa auctions chair from Fran McCaffery’s tirade
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout
- NCAA to survey potential host cities on discrimination laws
- George Washington investigating basketball coach Lonergan