Griffan Callahan added 16 points and Chad White scored 12 for the Jackrabbits (10-4).
Tony Wroten led Washington (5-5) with 23 points. Darnell Gant added 15 and C.J. Wilcox scored 12 points for the Huskies.
Washington used a 15-8 run to open the second half, cutting South Dakota State’s lead to 59-48 with 13:30 remaining.
But, the Jackrabbits used numerous trips to the free-throw line to broaden the lead. Brayden Carlson made two free throws with 9:15 left to expand South Dakota State’s lead to 70-52.
- Why does Bob Huggins wear a sweatsuit?
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons