Jud Dillard added 18 points and eight rebounds for the Golden Eagles (6-4), who won despite being outrebounded 36-24. They shot 50 percent from the field.
Kenny Harris led Evansville (4-5) with 23 points and a game-high 10 rebounds. Harris was 13 of 14 from the free-throw line, where the Purple Aces were 27 for 30 in the game.
Colt Ryan added 22 points for Evansville before fouling out. The Purple Aces took the lead with 40 seconds to play on two free throws by Ryan Sawvell before Murphy’s winning 3-pointer.
- Tennessee Tech tips Evansville 72-70
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Oregon team breakdown
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown