Drew Valentine added 15 points, Laval Lucas-Perry 14 and Travis Bader 13 for Oakland (4-2).
Jordan McRae led the Volunteers (3-3) with 25. Cameron Tatum had 19.
Last season the Golden Grizzlies beat the then-seventh-ranked Volunteers 89-82 in Knoxville—Oakland’s first win over a Top 10 team. Tennessee joins Oregon as the only major-conference programs to lose twice to Oakland since its move to Division I in 1999.
Oakland led 62-52 with 10:15 to play, but the Volunteers scored the next seven. Hamilton answered with a 3-pointer and a layup to move the margin to eight, and the Grizzlies got a break when Kenny Hall’s tip-in came to a stop on the back of the rim.
Valentine’s 3-pointer gave Oakland a 73-65 lead with 3:51 left, and the Grizzlies held off the Volunteers down the stretch.
- Deloach leads Norfolk St. to 82-76 win over North Carolina A&T
- Trier scores 18, No. 17 Arizona holds off UCLA 81-75
- Holder scores 20, Arizona State knocks off No. 23 USC, 74-67
- Disallowed Boise State buzzer-beater should have counted
- Monmouth stuns Rider late in 79-78 win
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold