ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP)—Evan Roquemore hit two go-ahead free throws with 4.3 seconds remaining as Santa Clara finished with a 10-0 run to beat Villanova 65-64 in Sunday’s third-place game of the 76 Classic.
After JayVaughn Pinkston missed the front end of a 1-and-1, Roquemore was fouled while grabbing the rebound. His free throws completed a nine-point comeback over the final three minutes.
Raymond Cowels scored 20 points on six 3-pointers for Santa Clara (4-2). Roquemore had 15 points and nine assists.
Mouphtaou Yarou finished with 19 points and seven rebounds for Villanova (4-2). Maalik Wayns and Dominic Cheek had 10 points apiece.
The Broncos trailed by nine with 2:56 remaining. Yannick Atanga and Cowels hit jumpers before Roquemore scored the game’s final six points, all on free throws.
Santa Clara went 10 off 11 from the free-throw line.
- The Cancun Challenge gym is not, in fact, a gym
- Johnson, Paige help No. 9 Tar Heels roll past Panthers 85-64
- Bond helps Temple top South Florida 77-65
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- Ochefu scores 25, No. 1 Villanova beats St. John's 73-63
- Jackson leads Notre Dame to upset of No. 13 Louisville 71-66