Suero scored seven points in the opening 8:07, when the Great Danes (1-1) took an 18-6 lead.
The Bears (1-1), who trailed 41-29 at halftime, came back in the second half behind Matt Sullivan, who scored 19 of his 26 points in the final 20 minutes. Sullivan hit a pair of 3-pointers and two free throws in a span of 1:02 to cut Albany’s lead to 65-60 with 4:17 to play.
The Great Danes safeguarded their lead by making all eight of their free throws the rest of the way, four by Mike Black.
Albany held a 42-30 rebounding advantage and shot 49 percent (24 of 49) to Brown’s 38.6 percent (22 of 57) in the first-round NIT Season Tip-Off game.
- No. 22 UCLA beats Stanford 76-71
- No. 6 Kansas beats No. 10 West Virginia, 75-65
- With Williams sick, No. 9 North Carolina beats BC 68-65
- Watson's 32 leads Creighton to 70-56 upset of No. 5 Xavier
- Gill's 16, 'D' lead No. 7 Virginia past Virginia Tech, 67-49
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal