ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP)—Khalif Toombs scored 17 points and Shaquil Barber added 15 as South Carolina State defeated Claflin 70-53 on Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
Toombs, who led all scorers, recorded three assists and five rebounds in the victory. He shot 5 of 8 from the field and made all six of his free throws.
Leading 47-41 in the second half, Shaquil Barber hit two crucial 3-pointers that sent South Carolina State on a 13-6 run to take a 60-47 lead with 3:47 left to play.
Alonzo Gillyard led the way for Claflin, scoring 13 points and grabbing eight rebounds in the process.
Claflin committed 21 turnovers in the loss.
- Maynor scores 18 to lead Va. Commonwealth past Hofstra
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78