Iona defeats Saint Peter’s 73-59 to sweep series
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP)—Kyle Smyth scored 14 points and Alejo Rodriguez grabbed 13 rebounds as Iona defeated Saint Peter’s 73-59 on Friday night to win its sixth straight game and sweep the season series.
The Gaels (19-10, 12-5 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), who also defeated the Peacocks 70-52 on Jan. 7, are tied with Rider for second place in the league going into the regular season finale. Saint Peter’s (17-12, 11-6) dropped to fourth.
Iona pulled away in the first half on a 15-4 run, then opened the second with a 17-4 spurt to lead 54-33 with 13:26 to go.
After the Gaels took their biggest lead at 73-49 with 3:07 left, the Peacocks closed out the game on a 10-0 run.
Iona outshot Saint Peter’s 45 percent (27 of 60) to 33.3 percent (23-69) and had a 54-34 rebounding advantage, but committed 21 turnovers, while forcing just 10.
Jeron Belin led the Peacocks with 15 points.
- Did a TV show cross the line by comparing Duke to the Nazis?
- Alkins leads No. 20 Arizona past Missouri, 79-60
- Gillon, Thompson lead Syracuse over Boston University
- Temple builds big lead, hangs on to top DePaul 74-65
- Creighton's 113-58 win over Lancers biggest margin since '02
- McBrayer scores 18 as Minnesota overpowers Georgia Southern